Rules for handling and storage Pallets
In order to keep a good hygiene there are some general rules for handling and storage pallets
- Use clean, dry pallets for the food industry.
- Wooden pallets should not be stored unprotected outdoors in order to avoid biological, physical and chemical contamination.
- Keep pallets separated – special pallets for hygienic zones
- Use pallet inverters. To avoid contamination a possible, cheap and easy solution is to use wooden pallets with a slip-sheet on top.
- When depalletising one pallet, the receiving pallet also has a slip-sheet on top. The pallets can be kept in separate zones and the slip-sheets can be made of different materials, expendable or reusable.
One method to clean pallets is to use high pressure water sprinkling. The pallets can be pasteurised by using
- Heat treatment by adding an additional drying cycle in a kiln
- High temperature treatment
- Microwave technology seems to be one very promising method.